Sorry, we do not accept:
- Torn, dirty, moldy, smelly, or water-damaged books – we cannot sell these!
- Ex-library or books purchased from the Library’s Title Wave bookstore
- Books with excessive writing, highlighting, or underlining
- Time Life series or Reader's Digest books
- Computer books older than 3 years
- Travel guides older than 3 years
- Textbooks older than 5 years
- Romance or Mystery novels older than 10 years
- VHS or cassette tapes
We love to accept:
- All classics, paperback and hardback by nominated or award-winning authors
- Popular fiction no more than 10 years old
- Reference books no more than 10 years old
- Old/Vintage books older than 1960
- Any science fiction
- Art and architecture
- CDs, DVDs, records, and audio books on CD
- Maps and pamphlets
- Children’s and Young Adult books
- Comic Books and Graphic Novels
- Weird, unique, and collectible items - yes!
Have a question about what we accept? Please call the Friends book sorting room at 503-988-6191. Your donation may be tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. Friends of the Library is a 501(c)3 (EIN #93-6097526).
Where do I take my books?
You can bring up to two bags/boxes of materials, in good condition, to your neighborhood library and your donation will be delivered to the Friends book sorting room. Visit the library website for branch hours and locations.
If you have more than 2 boxes, bring your donations to 216 NE Knott St. Knott St. & MLK temporarily closed for construction. Enter from Rodney Ave. Use the delivery driveway to the left of the Title Wave book store and ring the buzzer. Please do not take them into Title Wave. If you are delivering a large donation of more than 15 boxes, please call ahead. We don't have much space.
Donation hours are 8am - 4pm Monday through Friday (except holidays).
If you are disabled and unable to deliver your donation, please call the Friends at 503-988-6191 to discuss the possibility of a pick up. Due to space limitations, we cannot accept all donations. If you have a very large collection, we also have a knowledgeable staff who may be able to visit and pull items to best support our mission.