Friends of the Multnomah County Library (FOL)
Position: Online & Specialty Sales Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours: M-F, 10 am – 3 pm
Pay: Compensation will be determined based on experience. This is a non-exempt, hourly position with benefits to include paid time off, paid holidays and a retirement matching option.
1. Manages all components of online sales for the FOL. This includes listing, fulfillment, cleaning and repair, ordering of supplies, working with the Book Room staff and the public to find product to sell online.
2. Handles all customer correspondence, returns, and complaints in a manner resulting in the best possible customer satisfaction ratings.
3. Implements Board policies and procedures as applicable to this operation.
4. Assists with the preparation of the budget for this operation and then works to achieve the profit goals set in the budget.
5. Assists in preparation of business plans.
6. Monitors sales reports daily, weekly, monthly and reacts to factors such as time in inventory and changing business climate with pricing updates, revised acquisition plan(s), competitor analysis, and exploration of creative community partnerships and lucrative outside sales opportunities.
7. Establishes and maintains book inventory and storage system to ensure efficient fulfillment and handling of acquisitions.
8. Conducts a yearly inventory of all online items.
9. Provides recommendations for upgrades to technology, equipment, and supplies to allow this operation to run as profitably and efficiently as possible.
10. Oversees Online Sales Assistant and acts as direct supervisor and trainer of this individual in support of Online Sales operations.
11. Oversees volunteers (and models best practices) that assist with online sales to insure customers receive the best customer service and that all volunteers are following the same policies and procedures.
12. Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with coworkers, book room staff, Library staff, customers, vendors and other providers of goods and services, Friends of the Library, and the general public.
13. Establishes and maintains written online sales policies and procedures as well as training tutorials accessible to those working within the department and developed with their feedback.
14. Prepares monthly reports for the Executive Director
15. Attends Board, Book Sale and other meetings (as requested)
1. Knowledge of the standard practices and procedures for managing an efficient and effective online sales operation
2. A love of, interest in, and knowledge of books, authors, music, and paper ephemera
3. Knowledge of financial procedures and accountability
4. Ability to demonstrate excellent customer service and organizational skills with attention to detail
5. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing
6. Ability to effectively train and to supervise the activities of staff and volunteers, creating a positive and supportive work environment
7. Ability to operate computers and systems such as point-of-sale, word processing, and online bookselling software; to develop and use spreadsheets and to effectively use email and the internet.
8. Ability to analyze data, to prepare effective and informative reports, and to maintain records
9. Ability to envision a strategic goal and effectively measure and improve the online stores’ functions in order to achieve this goal.
10. Ability to plan, organize and maintain operations effectively, in accordance with Board policies and in support of the FOL mission and strategic plans
11. Ability to apply effective problem-solving techniques, including the ability to prioritize
12. Ability to move boxes of books or merchandise up to 60 pounds
13. At least one year’s experience successfully managing an online store, and experience working with volunteers – or any equivalent combination of related training and experience.
DESIRABLE BUT NOT REQUIRED:
1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
2. Experience with the use of social media as it relates to marketing
3. Past experience as a bookseller or buyer; familiarity with the research, identification, accurate description, marketing, and selling of pre- and post-ISBN books.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants who meet the qualifications are encouraged to apply. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2019. No phone calls please.