Consider joining our team!
The Friends of the Multnomah County Library is hiring a new Executive Director.
The Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and operations management of FOL according to direction set by the Board of Directors. Our grassroots-style, working board collaborates closely with the Executive Director to achieve the organization’s goals.
The ideal candidate will be a flexible, engaged, and dynamic person who can successfully collaborate across a wide variety of populations. The ability to adapt and problem-solve at an executive level is a must, and a demonstrated interest in public libraries and public services is essential. This position is perfect for someone who excels at managing large groups of people, and who takes pleasure working in a tight-knit, supportive environment.
The responsibilities of the Executive Director include:
- Participate with the Board of Directors and staff in maintaining a vision and plan to guide the organization
- Establish and maintain relationships with Library leaders, FOL members and volunteers
- Foster effective teamwork and communication amongst Board members and staff
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of internal and external issues that affect the organization
Human resources planning and management
- Hire and supervise 7 part-time staff, plus temporary help as needed
- Oversee the implementation of human resources policies, procedures and practices
- Coach, mentor, and evaluate staff performance
- Ensure staff and volunteers have the training and ability to carry out their assigned tasks
Financial planning and management
- Work with staff and the Executive Committee to prepare a comprehensive annual budget
- Work closely with the Treasurer and Accountant
- Administer FOL funds according to the approved budget and monitor monthly cash flow
- Manage payroll and comply with taxation, withholding payments and filing deadlines
Community relations and advocacy
- Participate in planning, implementation and outreach for FOL events
- With the President of the Board, act as a spokesperson for FOL
- Communicate with stakeholders to keep them informed of the work of FOL
- Enhance and refine all aspects of external communications
Operational planning and management
- Oversee planning, implementation and evaluation of FOL activities
- Monitor FOL activities to maintain and/or improve quality and cost-effectiveness
- Draft policies for Board approval and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies
- Review existing policies on an annual basis and recommend changes to the Board as appropriate
- Manage and ensure safety and security of the facilities used for program operations
- Maintain records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations
- Identify, evaluate and mitigate risks to the organization
- A demonstrated enthusiasm for public libraries
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years in a leadership position in the nonprofit sector
- 3-5 years of experience managing a small team of staff and/or volunteers
- 3+ years of experience in fundraising and/or advocacy
- Demonstrated leadership and communication skills
- Project management, budgeting and financial analysis experience
- Strong computer skills including QuickBooks, Microsoft Office and Google Applications
The physical demands include lifting up to 25 pounds, working at a computer station, and local travel. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions of the position.
Salary and Benefits
- This is a 0.6 FTE, exempt position, reporting to the President of the Board of Directors. Salary range starts at $30K/year DOE.
- This position includes the opportunity for a flexible schedule.
- Benefits include Paid Time Off, paid holidays, and an optional retirement plan. Health insurance coverage/health care stipend is not part of the current benefits package.
How to Apply
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are encouraged to apply. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.